Nov 19, 2021
Georgia Power's line crews (distribution and transmission), network underground and metering services play an integral part in Georgia's economy. Hospitals, government agencies, schools, businesses, and individuals rely on lineworkers and other essential workers to provide reliable electric service. If you're looking for an opportunity to make a difference and serve Georgians, apply for Georgia Power's paid summer internship today! Create your login and apply here.
Application deadline: March 31, 2022.
This is a paid internship: $15.00/hour (there is no overtime or mileage reimbursement). The program is approximately 8 weeks, with a preferred start time in June 2022. Schedule: Monday through Friday – 7:00 a.m. – 3:30 p.m. (may vary based on work location and team).
Work location: TBD – will be based on candidate’s home location. Note: there will be a reporting location, but the student will ride with crew members to various work locations daily. The student should be prepared to be out with crews most days and return to the office location by 3:30. Every aspect of the internship will be closely supervised and evaluated by a full-time Georgia Power employee.
- Develop a general knowledge of power lines construction standards
- Work with crews daily doing basic work activities
- Use basic hand tools: shovel, cant hook, post hole diggers, and other basic tools
- Help prepare overhead and underground materials for installation
- Assist with power outage restoration if they occur during scheduled work hours
- Interact with customers while in the field with various teams (Lineworker, Transmission, Metering or Network Underground)
- Time designated for CAST (Construction and Skills Trade test) prep and soft skills training
Student Worker Requirements:
- Must be 18 years of age or older. If less than 18 years old a consent form must be signed by a legal guardian or parent (sent upon request)
- Valid driver’s license and a clean driving record
- Responsible individual with reliable transportation to and from work
- Ability to read, understand, and follow procedures, rules, and regulations
- Ability to perform physically demanding activities while working outside in all conditions
- Must pass pre-employment screenings (drug testing, criminal background check, and physical)
- Must be drug free and follow safety protocol if prescription drug(s) are required
- Ability to comprehend basic safety rules and not be afraid to ask questions
- Positive attitude, strong work ethic, willingness to take the initiative and follow instructions
- Have an interest and aptitude in linework & other essential jobs in Power Delivery or Shared Services
Dress Code (all will be provided): Steel toe work boots & appropriate jeans and shirt – 100% cotton or natural fiber; Additional fire-retardant gear & other Personal Protection Equipment (PPE)